job description & How to apply
Type of Position: Full Time, Experienced
Required Degree: MA/MS/MFA desired, commensurate work experience accepted
Salary: Competitive / range based on relevant experience
Appointed by and reporting to the Criterion Board of Directors, the Managing Director serves at the pleasure of the Board and must possess the following characteristics and be held accountable for these responsibilities:
- The Managing Director will be a leader, a motivator and a rallying point for the organization and its partners. In addition, he/she will have proven skills at developing relationships with funders, stakeholders, elected officials, partner organizations and the media.
- He/She is a proven leader and team player with a high degree of charisma, drive and energy, a “great communicator” with the experience and personality to gain the respect of internal and external constituencies. The Managing Director should be decisive and exhibit a genuine sense of urgency without compromising a healthy organizational culture.
- The ideal candidate will exhibit a strong and consistent personal commitment to the organization’s vision and to its communications throughout the organization.
- He/She will be a successful and experienced team builder with the ability to positively influence employees and constituencies. The Managing Director will be a good listener and will have the ability to communicate and gain support for the organization’s overall goals.
- The Managing Director must have a genuine curiosity and interest in theater, cinema, community, live performances, and storytelling as well as a demonstrated respect for and comfort with cultural differences as well as maintaining the theater’s historical and structural integrity.
- The Managing Director must be of unquestionable personal and professional integrity. The ideal candidate exhibits a stable personality and balanced demeanor even at times of high stress, is able to give and take constructive criticism and demands high performance from both himself/herself and colleagues.
- The Managing Director will embrace the Criterion’s vision and develop a strategy to lead the organization in the achievement of its mission and goals.
- The Managing Director will work with the development efforts for the theater to help ensure all goals are met. He/she will create partnerships with businesses and other institutions that contribute to the theater’s resources.
- He/she will seek collaborative relationships with the theater, film, live music and performance communities, critical to advancing the Criterion’s mission.
- The Managing Director will effectively manage the Criterion’s people, operations, business, and facilities ensuring that the historical and structural integrity remains intact.
- The Managing Director will be appointed by, and report to, the Board of Directors and together with the Board, he/she will establish operational objectives that support the theater’s strategic plan.
- The Managing Director will represent the 1932 Criterion Theatre in public settings, establishing and maintaining positive relationships with the many professional and cultural constituencies that support the museum, theater, and historic building.
- The Managing Director will make sure the staff and daily operations of the theater, as well as its finances are stable.
- He/she will be active in regional and national theater organizations, thus enhancing the theater’s ability to achieve its goals and objectives.
In summary, the Managing Director must be competent as both a strategic and tactical leader with an ability to think creatively and can raise the bar in fundraising and building public support for the 1932 Criterion Theatre.