Job description and how to apply
Type of Position: Full Time, Experienced
Required Degree: MA/MS/MFA desired, commensurate work experience accepted
Salary: Competitive / range based on relevant experience
Appointed by and reporting to the Criterion Board of Directors, the Development Director serves at the pleasure of the Board and must possess the following characteristics and be held accountable for these responsibilities:
The Development Director (DD) of the Criterion Theatre is responsible for designing, implementing and managing all fundraising activities including annual giving, endowment and capital campaigns, special projects, and other related solicitations.
The broad responsibilities and duties of the DD include:
- Managing all strategies and activities for donor cultivation, solicitation, and relations;
- Maintaining contact with and writes grant proposals for foundations, corporations, and government grants;
- Researching and contacting new or potential corporate, foundation, government and individual donors;
- Supervising development staff and independent contractors;
- Being primary staff liaison for the Development Committee and ad hoc fundraising committees;
- Assuming responsibility for all development reports to the Board and other agencies;
- Working with the Development Committee, the Executive Committee and Board to identify new board prospects;
- Creating office systems to support all Development projects and operations;
- Managing donor, gift record-keeping and grant reporting;
- Managing the pledge reminder and acknowledgement programs;
- Attending community events related to donor cultivation;
- Participating in outreach activities and performances outside regular business hours; and,
- Being available to assist in any other capacity as assigned.
- Experience developing and maintaining productive working relationships with board members, donors, and community members;
- Knowledge of ticketing/registration/donor/event software;
- Experience in a customer service/hospitality;
- An understanding of budgeting principles;
- A background in arts administration or administration;
- Excellent verbal, written, organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work in a team environment;
- Ability to work on a variety of projects simultaneously is essential; and,
- Demonstrated attention to detail required.
In summary, the Development Director must be competent as both a strategic and tactical leader with an ability to think creatively and can raise the bar in fundraising and building public support for the 1932 Criterion Theatre.